“Who Can Volunteer?”
Individuals at least 16 years old.
“When Can I Volunteer?”
Greatest need is during the day Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday though there are opportunities in the evenings as well.
Day time volunteer time slots in the kitchen, dining room & donations department are: 8am-10:30am or noon-3:30pm.
Volunteers can select a preferred start time, and we request a minimum stay of one hour.
“What Can I Do to Help?”
Volunteers are typically placed where help is needed most on the particular day. We rarely decline requests to help in the kitchen.
If a volunteer comes the same schedule each week, they are welcome to volunteer in their area of preference.
Volunteer Areas & What to Expect
- Chocolate on a Mission: Some people absolutely love volunteering in this department. Volunteers often help with making gift bows, labeling items, and other tasks depending. If this is your selection, we recommend dressing warmly – sweater, pants, etc. The shop can be almost as cold as the North Pole. (Regular & seasonal opportunities).
- Cleaning: Disinfecting & scrubbing tables & chairs. Sweeping & mopping. Cleaning mop buckets & trash cans. Kitchen & bathroom type cleaning. Training provided.
- Dining Room: Putting breakfast pastries on trays, pouring cereal, making milk, bagging trash, pouring drinks, wiping tables, serving lunch plates, taking out trash, wrapping utensils in napkins, welcoming and chatting with guests. We’ll show you how.
- Donations: Sorting & hanging clothing donations. Sorting household goods & toiletries. Helping cut & make cleaning rags.
- Kitchen: Washing and cutting veggies, making salads, opening cans, mixing juice, cutting pies n cakes, making or frying rice, plating food, cleaning steam table, washing pots, and other.
- Laundry: Washing, drying, and folding towels used by guests utilizing our shower facility.
- Office or Reception: Answering phones, light computer duties, and/or filing or shredding files. Experience preferred.
A Few Last Things
Standard dress code for volunteers is jeans, t shirt and rubber sole shoes that cover your toes.
Clean hands, hair and fingernails are a must. Please have long hair styles pulled back from face, and if volunteering in the kitchen, we supply hairnets.
“How do I get started?”
Contact Shervelle, our General Manager, at 524-7656 (between 9am-5pm M-F) or email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a visit.
Volunteering that same day may be possible if you are available.